Monday 13 February 2012

Apartment, impatience, church and Mango Fly!


So I promised to go into more detail about my apartment for those of you who would like a mental picture of my surroundings, so I'll try my best to explain it. For starters, the other missionaries on the compound assure me it's the best of all the rooms because it's off the street, so in theory the quietest (although I hate to think of what the others must be like considering I get very little sleep between the water tank motor randomly firing into action every hour, the Muslim call to prayer over the loud speaker from 4am, the sound of my next door neighbors motorbike starting up at some ungodly hour, dogs barking, roosters crowing and bizarre Nigerian birds always chirping outside my window....oh and my insanely hard Nigerian style bed! Hmmm aren't hard beds meant to be good for your back???). My apartment is also on the bottom level of the compound so should be cooler in the hot season (March-May). It has just had a fresh coat of paint, and when I come in each day I can still smell the fumes strongly, but then get used to it after a while...probably not so good for me! All the lounge furniture has just been reupholstered too. I do feel very blessed indeed. My little place has a back door that opens out onto a cute courtyard, where George (a long term missionary teaching at the Seminary here) keeps his veggie patch and Gaelyne (an occupational therapist working at the hospital-if you can call the flea and rat infested place a hospital!) has her garden. There is a little raised deck which George built a few years ago which we sit on to have meals in the evening together sometimes and where they've hung fairy lights from the trees. The apartment itself has a kitchen, lounge, dining room, bathroom and bedroom. My next door neighbour Fiona (a physio working at Evangel hospital also and doing work with women in brothels) and I share a washing machine. I spent the first few days making the place feel more my own; putting up pictures and hanging all the wonderful heartfelt farewell cards so many of you gave me before I left and of course plastering my walls in my bedroom, lounge and fridge with gorgeous photos from home (you're all now famous in Nigeria!). I have all the essentials I need here in my flat thanks to previous short term missionaries before me, and from my first few days looking around the shops and supermarkets it seems as though if I lack anything in terms of equipment for my kitchen or home, I can find it somewhere if Im prepared to search, albeit a very cheap version of the desired option...think 'made in China'!

As I mentioned previously my schedule for the last few days has been jammed full of lunch and dinner dates with various missionary families and SIM people from other compounds. It's been a really humbling experience to meet these people who have been so eagerly anticipating my arrival and praying fervently for someone to come and help Kelly with the City Ministries medical ministry here in Jos. They are so welcoming and genuinely want to make me feel a part of the community. One thing I've been pleasantly surprised about so far is how good the food is. After reading about the Nigerian cuisine before arriving I was expecting bland mushy starch for breakfast, lunch and dinner. However I've been eating amazing homemade pizza's, chicken, salads, pita and hummus, lasangne, fresh papaya, watermelon, mangos and strawberries, not to mention the desserts and cakes! Admittedly the missionary woman who have been so generously cooking and baking for me have lived here for years (my mentor, a lady named Miriam has been here 23 years) so have come to know where to get things, what available, how best to prepare them and of course how to use their gas oven to perfection! I've told my flatmate Fiona to be prepared to smell some funky burning smells from my place next week once I'm on my own in the kitchen. I've never had to light an oven with a match before! But I'll go into more of the food and cooking adventures in another blog as there's so much to talk about including the fact I have to bleach my fruit and veggies!

I'm feeling a real sense of impatience (probably not so surprising for those of you familiar with my personality!) and frustration at the moment due to my inability to speak Hausa and navigate my way around the city. I know these things will come in time and it's only my first week here, but language seems to be such a connector here, even just knowing basic greetings will be exciting. It's still very overwhelming driving around the township as there are no road signs and no sense or order in the way the roads are set out. It seems to be a real haphazard connection of streets with the odd round about (which drivers on motorbikes will quite happily drive around the wrong way!).

I went to my first church service Sunday. Fiona and some of the others from Challenge go to an ECWA church (one of the biggest church denominations in Jos) at JETS (Jos Evangelical Theological Seminary) so I went along with them. I had been told to dress up and wear a head covering and when I turned up I was in awe of the amazing colour and patterns on the women's traditional Nigerian dresses, their scarfs matching their outfits precisely of course. When we arrived we were scanned with what I assume was a bomb detector device before entering the church. The worship was incredible, the passion and soul behind the praise was such a joy to be surrounded by, I didn't even want to participate but just sit there and soak in it all. The service went for about 2 hours (short by Nigerian standards) and I was so hot I felt like passing out mid sermon (I'd made the mistake of layering my tops). I looked around me and saw how much clothing everyone else was wearing and told myself to suck it up! Hopefully they put the ceiling fans on next week!

I started my orientation yesterday which included a health lecture with the nurse who looks after the general health of all the missionaries here (87 in total at the moment). She went into the anti-malarial I'm taking and the importance of taking them with food, the need to sleep under my mosquito net, how to stay safe with water and food and also how to avoid common health hazards like the Mango Fly. Now I don't get squeamish easily being a nurse myself but this Mango Fly is something even I do not want to have to experience! Apparently if you hang our washing anywhere near a mango tree in season the Mango Fly (which eat the rotting mangos) can lay larvae in your clothes and then burrow into your skin when you're wearing them! You start to feel itchy and notice a red welt soon after and if you suspect a mango fly larvae you put Vaseline over the red pimple like spot and wait a few hours. The larvae then suffocates and has to come to the surface where you can squeeze it out like a pimple, only a long worm like larvae will come out! I have no idea why this has traumatised me so much, esp. considering it's not a life and death disease, but it might be to do with the fact that we have a mango tree at Challenge compound! The way to avoid it is to iron all your clothing before wearing it to kill the larvae. As soon as I see mangos on that tree I'm going to super vigilant at my ironing, might even dry my underwear in my bathroom! Ha ha.
Right better be off now, another day of orientation awaits me. Get my sim card for phone today, have felt quite lost without a phone! Not that I'll be able to text any of you, but habits die hard.
N xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment