Thursday 6 September 2012

Fighting for justice and baking lessons


“… "Speak up for those who cannot speak for themselves, for the rights of all who are destitute. Speak up and judge fairly; defend the rights of the poor and needy." Proverbs 31:8-9.

"....may the groan of the prisoners come before you: by the strength of your arm preserve those condemned to die.” Psalm 79:1

Being able to be involved in fighting on behalf of people for their freedom was not something I anticipated doing in Nigeria, but has been one of the most rewarding and satisfying endeavors.  As most of you know, I have been leading a bible study in the women’s prison. This has allowed me to get to know the women and hear their stories. Over the months I have been visiting the prison and my work with ASPIR (Advocacy for the Support of Prisoners and Indigents Rights), I have heard so many stories of injustice that it breaks my heart. I have come to learn that the Nigerian justice system sentences people before trials and then again after if they are found guilty at trial. The sentence is terminated if found not guilty, but this happens for those ’lucky’ enough to ever be tried at all.

Prisoners are refused bail and kept behind bas for years without trial.  70% of prison inmates in Nigeria are awaiting trials, while 30% comprise those under trail and those already convicted. I have heard and read testimonies of those that have been detained and waited 9 years for a trial! Most accused will wait between 1 and 5 years for a trial date, whilst being treated as guilty. I have seen most of the suspects in the prison isolated, unable to contact family and friends and with few, if any visitors who remember them. In talking to a lawyer friend who works closely with the prison system, she expressed her opinion that in Nigeria, incarceration worsens the condition of prisoners instead of reforming them. She also shared the truth that most inmates awaiting trial did not commit the offences that they are accused of; they are mere suspects.  

Bearing all this in mind, when I heard the full story of one of the newer ladies last Monday, I decided to try and do something about it. Chindu is a mother of 3, recently widowed, and 3 months pregnant. She was accused of concealing stolen goods and sentenced to 2 years in prison or a fee of 10,000N (about $75 NZD).  In talking to her, she explained that she was given some curlers to use in her small hair salon, and was not aware they were in fact stolen. 2 years seemed like a long time away from her children for such a petty crime, even if she had committed it!

I made contact with a lawyer that another missionary had used previously to help in the process of paying the fee to free prisoners and she did some investigating, found the court she was convicted in and verified the validity of Chindu’s story and the facilitated the money transfer on my behalf. I saw her one last time before her release and even though I’d asked for things to be kept anonymous, she knew I was responsible and despite the language barrier I could tell she was grateful beyond expression.

On a very different note, Fiona and I hosted a birthday party for a Nigerian girlfriend of ours last Friday. She had never had a party before, so it was a great thing to be able to do for her. We ended up having over 50 Nigerians attend! Fiona and I along with 2 Nigerian girls spent the whole of Friday cooking and decorating, which was an exhausting job but well worth the effort. We would have been lost without the Nigerians’ as I’ve never had to cater for 50 before! Learnt a lot about Nigerian culture over the evening as well. In the West when we host ‘parties’ or gatherings in our homes, people who attend will stand around, mingle, meet new people, maybe dance a bit to the music that is playing in the background,  and generally just BE, but Nigerians expect to be entertained! They expect the party to have a programme, an MC, and a games master in charge of the evening.

We were busy playing games, had been broken up into teams and were planning songs and dances to perform for the birthday girl, but I was getting hungry. It was about 8pm and I was a bot concerned the food would be getting cold so I quietly suggested we eat (we'd prepared a full Nigerian meal for guests) but was kindly told that if we served the food, people would then leave! Sure enough, after we'd 
played games for  an hour or so and the men started demanding food we ate and by 9pm people were saying goodbye. Part of this of course is that the public aren't allowed out on the streets late at night for security reasons but it was just so bizarre to me because 9pm is when parties really get started back home!

Lamella and Nuhu dancing for rapping for Blessing 


We also had a cooking competition at our compound after church on Sunday. We had teams of about 5-6 people and split into 3 groups: mains, salads and baking. I was in charge of baking team and I had Nigerian girls in my team that had obviously never baked before (only very wealthy Nigerians own ovens) and didn't quite grasp the concept of following a recipe! They all make things by touch, taste and instinct, from having seen their mothers do it hundreds of times. They kept praising my ability and were in wonder of how I knew how to make cookies and brownies, I kept telling them all I was doing was reading from a book! After we'd iced the cookies, the girls then started asking me about how to make wedding cake icing…..I had to tell them that I actually had no idea and my baking repertoire really was limited to cakes, muffins, biscuits and slices! They have no scheduled me for baking lessons! More fun times ahead.

The Baking Team: Winners of the day!



No comments:

Post a Comment